Simple Seated Twist: By Christine Wushke
This pose is recommended for intermediate students. While the spinal twist is very gentle, sitting in hero pose can be difficult for beginning students. If you would like to try this pose, and you are a beginning student, follow steps 2 – 6 sitting on a chair, instead of the blocks.
* This pose in not recommended for pregnancy, arthritis in the spine, or degenerated disks in the spine.
Get 4 foam blocks, and 2 yoga bricks, or some folded blankets, and some pillows. You will need to experiment with the right height for you, so have ample props nearby, it is better to have more than enough.
1. Hero pose: Sit with your back straight, and your sit bones on a stack of blocks or folded blankets. Place your feet straight back making sure your knees are pointing straight forward. You may have to adjust your calf muscles so that they are in a comfortable position when sitting.
Check that there is no discomfort on your knees or hips. If there is, then adjust your height so that you are sitting on more blankets, or blocks. Take time to experiment with the amount of blocks or blankets you are using, so you are completely comfortable. If you are not comfortable in this position, follow along with steps 2 – 5 sitting in a chair.
2. Straighten your spine, so that you are sitting as tall as possible. Move your shoulder blades down your back. (As if you are placing your shoulder blades in your back pockets.) Lift your chest up.
3. Very slowly twist your spine until you feel a stretch in your back. As soon as you feel a stretch, stop. Lift your chest, and move the shoulder blades down. Stay here until you feel the stretch diminish. Breathe evenly, and into the belly.
4. After you feel the stretch diminish twist a little bit more, until you feel a stretch in your back again. Stop here. Lift your chest, move your shoulder blades down. Look over your shoulder, keeping your neck nice and loose.
5. Hold the pose as long as you are comfortable, doing your belly breathing.
6. Remember to use your intuition, the best yoga teacher you will ever find is your own body.
Benefits ~ Tones and strengthens the muscles in the back, helps diminish muscle tension in the back, keeps the joints in the spine more mobile, tones and detoxifies internal organs, cleanses the colon, detoxifies the liver.
Ab0ut Christine Wushke
Christine Wushke is a yoga and meditation teacher with over 15 years of experience. Her aim is to create a sacred space for students to effortlessly find the presence of stillness and an inner silence. Christine’s mission is to raise consciousness on the planet by empowering people to realize their own Divinity and to uncover a deep peace within. Christine is committed to assisting you in your journey, and helping you to realize directly for yourself the truth of what you are, and the stillness of truth within.
Christine’s meditations, and yoga articles will guide you to deepen your understanding of the wisdom within this ancient practice and experience the spiritual elements of yoga.