Sacral releasing Pose
Sacral releasing Pose
This pose is amazing for releasing and opening the sacrum. In spiritual tradition of yoga, it is said that the kundalini Shakti energy lies dormant like a coiled snake sitting at the base of the spine. When we do certain meditations or yoga poses, it is said that we can awaken this dormant energy and activate a spiritual energy to begin its journey up the spinal column and up into the brain. Please use caution and mindfulness in this pose if you have herniated disks, or arthritis in the spine.
1. Lay on your back with your knees bent. Bring your knees together and your feet about shoulder width apart.
2. Lift your pelvis slightly and move your tailbone toward your heels. Flatten the small of your back to the floor. (Or as flat as it will go)
3. Let your knees lean into each other, letting them also pull forward. (let this movement be natural, and not forced). Let the lower back relax as much as you can.
4. Hold this position for at least 30 seconds, allowing the muscles in your legs, and pelvis to relax.
5. Bring your awareness into your sacrum. Imagine that you are breathing light, energy and nourishment into your sacrum. Imagine that you are drawing that nourishment all the way up your spine and into your brain.
6. Start to bring your knees down toward the floor, one at a time. Stretching the inner thigh.
7. As you bring your knee toward the floor, let the pelvis rock from side to side massaging the back of your pelvis. Continue to imagine that you are drawing nourishment and light into your sacrum, and allowing it to flow all the way up your spine. Use the rocking action of the pelvis to increase the amount of energy flowing into the sacrum and up the spine.
8. Return to position #1, and rest for another 30 seconds or longer.
Benefits ~ Loosens and releases the sacrum. Relaxes the muscles of the pelvis, and lower back. Massages and Oxygenates the back of the pelvis. Increases flexibility in the abductor, and adductor muscles in the thighs.
© written and modeled by Christine Wushke, Photo’s by Dianne Wushke.
Christine Wushke is a certified yoga and meditation teacher with over 15 years of experience. Her aim is to create a sacred space for students to effortlessly find the presence of stillness and an inner silence. Christine’s mission is to raise consciousness on the planet by empowering people to realize their own Divinity and to uncover a deep peace within. Christine is committed to assisting you in your journey, and helping you to realize directly for yourself the truth of what you are, and the stillness of truth within. In addition to her yoga and meditation training, Christine is also a registered massage therapist. In the past two years she has studied extensively in the spiritual tradition of Advaita Vedanta. Her teaching style is largely influenced by Iyengar yoga, and the nondual tradition of Advaita.